2016-17 Emirates FA Cup 4th Round Replay - Leicester City FC v Derby County FC

February 10, 2017  •  Leave a Comment

Hello sports fans,

I was at the King Power Stadium to shoot the 4th round replay of The Emirates FA Cup between Leicester City FC and Derby County FC. Derby County are in the Sky Bet Championship, whilst Leicester City play in the Barclays Premiership League as well as being the 2015-16 Premiership Champions. A division apart, but a local derby that Derby was looking forward too. The chance to play against the current Premiership Champions. The previous match ended in a 2-2 draw at Pride Park Stadium. Derby almost pulled off a coup except for a late equaliser by Wes Morgan of Leicester City. 

Derby County having been playing well of late in the Championship and challenging every minute on the pitch. Leicester City on the other hand have not showed the form of last year when everything came together to win the Premiership. This match was heading for a tight result and if Derby played their best football and Leicester struggled, it would be a night to remember.

As with all my matches, I arrived very early to enable me to capture a variety of general views around the stadium before the players came out to warm up on the pitch. With the match starting at 7:45pm, I decided to capture some long exposure images outside the stadium to show off the bright lights. Leicester City have tight restrictions where accredited photographers can go before, during and post-match. As with all matches you must keep your eyes open for stories that surround the match and as this is a FA Cup match, many supporters had taken the time to make tin foil FA Cup's which provided some interesting supporter images. After uploading the general views and supporters images, I was out to set up on pitch side. With this match, Leicester City were still favourites to win albeit, a tight call. I decided to follow Leicester and move between halves which proved advantageous as the action followed them. 

The match started off well and it looked like it would be a cracking match. Leicester's Captain Andy King opened the scoring with a header in the 46th minute and then Derby's Abdoul Camara equalised from a deflected free kick in the 61st minute. Both sides continued to fight on but at the end of full time it was still 1-1 which meant extra time (15 minutes each way). With Wilfred Ndidi of Leicester coming on after just 4 minutes, he scored to takes the Foxes ahead. Again later a run by Gray managed to push his way past two defenders and strike the ball in to the far top right corner of the goal. The match ended 3-1 and in the end Leicester deserved the win. Derby fought as hard as they could, but if only they had more players to bring on as substitutes to take up the fight. Derby should be very proud of their efforts as they took the Premier Champions to a replay and again to extra time. Derby's profile has been raised and Leicester managed to hold off a tough team and regain some respect after a poor run in the Premier League. Leicester City go on to face Millwall in the 5th round.

As a contributor to Getty Images, it is important to ensure that only the very best images are forwarded and so I must be conscious of quality and timely image uploads. At the end of the evening, I uploaded almost 90 images from the game which meets our minimums for Getty and other worldwide picture agencies. 

As always, it was a pleasure to see the players perform from a close viewpoint and the match provided a selection of images which can be seen on the Action Plus Sports Images website.


Xcite Images



No comments posted.
January February March (1) April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January (4) February (4) March April May June July August September October November December (1)
January February March April May June July August September October November December